Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Follow Up to Plant-Strong Success Tip #5: How to Fill a Kitchen Once You've Done the Clean-Out

As a response to my last blog posting, Plant-strong Success Tip #5: Rid Your Home of Crap/ Fill Your Home with Good Real Food, I received the following questions:

"What fruits fresh and frozen? What Veggies? Which beans, etc, are in your fridge and pantry? What do you eat for snacks? I have been veggie for a long time but have the "sugar thing". I have stopped many of my go-to foods but, as you point out, have replaced them with something else. What can we have without guilt? Is there some lightly crunchy thing that goes good with coffee?
Signed,
Deer in the Headlights"

I've actually wanted to write a post on this subject for at least six months. It was first brought to my attention by my dear friend and reader Rivky. I'm just sorry that I didn't get around to it when she first asked, but better late than never, I hope!

The following are just my kitchen staples. Of course, for any specific recipe, I might need something else. But, that being said, I find that most recipes that I make at this point do not require a special trip to the store but are easily made from what I have on hand.

There are so many things that did not make my list of staples. Red and green cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh beets, string beans, and asparagus are just some of the regulars in my house that didn't make the staples list, but are frequent contributors to our diet!

Complete Printable List

Healthy Girl's Refrigerator
Spinach (I like the large box)
Spring Lettuce Mix (I like the large box)
Romaine Lettuce (I prefer whole heads, but will get the hearts in a pinch)
Kale (I like the large bags and boxes that is now available at Whole Foods-it's already washed and cut)
Celery
Carrots
Cucumbers (I prefer the small Persian or pickling variety because the size makes them just right for single usage)
Curly Parsley
Ripe avocado (I limit my consumption of these to approx 1-2 per week)
Grapes-green and red
Oranges
Lemons
Limes
Tofu (extra firm, firm, silken, marinated)
Strawberries (I have to have these pretty much all of the time because my kids will eat them)
Tomatoes (grape, plum, slicing-these are NOT always in my kitchen because I am not the biggest fan)
Almond Milk (unsweetened, 40 calories/cup)
Vacuum packed roasted beets (Trader Joes)
Vacuum packed steamed lentils (Trader Joes)
Soy Creamer
Dates
Miso Paste (yellow and red)
Hummus
Condiments:
  • capers
  • Maple Syrup
  • mustards of all varieties
  • no-oil bottled salad dressings
Not year-round staples, but can often be found in HGK, especially when in season:
  • Blueberries
  • Raspberries
  • Pineapple
  • Cantaloupe
  • Watermelon
  • Honeydew
  • Mangoes
  • Papaya
  • Cherries
  • Young Coconut
  • Peaches (only from the Farmer's Market when in season)
  • Plums (rarely-they are just not good anymore here)
  • Nectarines (rarely-they are just not good anymore here)
Healthy Girl's Counter Top Fruit Bowl
Apples
Bananas
Pears
Unripe avocado

Healthy Girl's Freezer
Ezekiel Bread
Ezekiel Buns
Ezekiel Tortillas
100% Whole Wheat Bread (for my younger kids)
Microwavable Brown Rice
Dr. Praeger's California Veggie Burgers
Nuts of all variety (walnuts are by far the healthiest, and all nuts should be stored in the freezer)
Seeds (sesame, sunflower-also stored in the freezer)
Frozen spinach
Frozen kale
Frozen butternut squash
Frozen fruit (mango, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple)
Frozen overripe bananas, peel removed, stored in Ziploc baggies
Fresh Ginger (also stored in a Ziploc baggie)
Ground Flax Seed

Healthy Girl's Pantry
vinegars of all varieties (apple cider, rice wine, red wine, balsamic to name a few)
spices-I have a very large collection
Sea Salt
Pepper-ground and whole peppercorns
low sugar breakfast cereals
oatmeals (steel cut, rolled oats and instant)
Lentils (red, green and brown)
Brown rice (short, medium and long grain)
Quinoa (white and red)
Crackers (Ak-mak, Mary's Gone Crackers, Whole Wheat Matzoh, and TLC)
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth in a box (I always have at least 4 boxes on hand)
Dr. McDougall's Soups (sold at Whole Foods)
Canned Beans (black, garbanzo, kidney, pinto, canellini)
Fat Free Refried Beans
Canned Pumpkin
Large yellow onions
Garlic
Sweet Potatoes
Canned tomatoes (diced, fire roasted, tomato paste, low or no fat tomato sauce)
Coffee (yes, I do drink it-how else would I do everything I want to do?)
Raw Cacao Powder
Light Coconut Milk
Salsas (Salsa Verde is my fav!)
Roasted Peppers in a jar
Peanut Butter (no sugar or oil added)
Sunflower Seed Butter (refrigerate after opening)
Almond Butter (refrigerate after opening)
Low Sodium Soy Sauce/Low Sodium Tamari
Bragg Liquid Aminos
Nori for rolling "sushi"
Extracts-vanilla, peppermint, coconut, etc.
Hot sauces
Nutritional Yeast
Chia Seeds
Hearts of Palm
Artichoke Hearts (in water)
Cous Cous
Millet
Amaranth
Barley (with the hull)
100% Whole Wheat Pastas (I find the 365 Brand from Whole Foods to be the best)
Sundried tomatoes (not in oil, just dried and in a bag)
Dried Fruit-not for snacking so much, but for use in recipes
  • cranberries
  • raisins
  • apricots
  • prunes
  • etc.
Flours
  • garbanzo bean
  • whole wheat pastry
  • almond meal
I keep adding to this list every few hours as things come to mind. Later today I will include a link to a printable page with my entire staples list, so check back tonight if you are interested in printing that out.

Did I miss anything that you keep as a healthy staple?

No comments:

Post a Comment