Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's Not Your Fault that You are a Food Addict and My Cute Little Herb Garden

What I'm Reading Now: Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard, M.D.

First off I want to say "thank you" to everyone who left a comment at my post, Plant-strong Success Tip #4: Get Comfortable Asking for What You Need. Making bold statements about behaviors and attitudes can sometimes feel a little scary, so it's really helpful to receive feedback. If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times, receiving comments are fuel to a blogger. They keep me going and inspired, so again, I thank you.

Next I want to talk about a book that only a few days ago did I first lay my hands on. Thanks to my dear friend, fellow warrior and frequent HGK commenter Q.B. for recommending Breaking the Food Seduction by Neal Barnard, M.D. Although I have only read 1/2 of the book, I'm so excited by its contents that I simply could not wait to share it with you.

The lucky ones reading this post have read this book already. You know that becoming an expert is a major key to success on a plant based diet. So this book is probably in your home library.

If you haven't read it and you struggle with making food choices that you know are not optimal for your health, you NEED to read this book. I cannot recommend it enough. Dr. Barnard details out all of the reasons why we get addicted to cheese, meat and sugar.

I actually don't feel guilty about my sugar fixation anymore! It's just how my brain is wired. I get that peaceful, easy feeling (think, The Eagles) . . . I know you won't let me down . . .LOL.

But it's so true, my brain chemistry makes it that sugar feels really great when I eat it. Not so much a few minutes later though, because a little IS NEVER ENOUGH. Substitute in meat or cheese or salty, fatty foods if those are your downfall. It's not your fault. There are opiates in food that work on our moods exactly the same way that illegal drugs do. No wonder I have an addiction.

Does that mean I'm going to give up? Lay down and die? No way! I'm going to follow his 8 step plan so that my drug of choice has much less hold over me. Coincidentally, his plan is basically what I have come to understand and follow over the past two years. So I know that it works. The key? FIBER, the kind found in beans, vegetables and fruits. Eat lots and lots of that and all that other junk doesn't stand a chance!



On another note, how many of you guys are into gardening? Do you grow your own vegetables? Herbs? I have been experimenting the last few years with herb gardening and I have to say, I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm still trying. I know that I've got to do a much better job with the pruning (I tend to get lazy). Here's what I've got on tap this year:
Most of my herbs are in pots. I'm thinking that when the weather gets cold I will bring them all inside near a sunny window and hopefully get many more months of joy from them.

This pot is entirely dedicated to a variety of basils: spicy Thai basil, sweet basil, spicy globe basil and opal basil. I'm growing them as much for the food as I am for how darn adorable they are!




I was very lucky to find a stevia plant and a chamomile plant at Whole Foods last weekend. Now my oldest daughter is steeping a tea from mint, chamomile and stevia that she affectionately calls "Backyard Tea."



Cilantro, sage, oregano, and thyme. The tarragon grows really well in the ground in another spot in my garden, along with chives.


I don't do much with rosemary, but it's so easy to grow I got some anyway. Rosemary just seems like such a chicken compliment, but you know, it goes really well on herb roasted potatoes . . . ummmmm, I'm going to have to make a big pan of them as soon as my oven is hooked up. Sans the oil of course!

Have you read Breaking the Food Seduction? Do you want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment