Saturday, July 9, 2011

Takin' Care of Myself: Black Beans in a Red Velvet Mole Sauce

I'm still sick. Can you believe it? I can't!

On Tuesday I figured that this Friday night dinner had better be "just us" and boy am I glad that I did. I think I went to sleep last night at 8 o'clock. But before going down, I was able to put together another easy and winning dish from Appetite for Reduction.

I had a large bag of kale in my fridge that I wanted to use up and also way too many whole grains hanging out in my pantry. I have learned that adding beans to that duo creates a perfect vegan trifecta, so when I opened up Appetite for Reduction and saw the recipe for Black Beans in a Red Velvet Mole Sauce, I was intrigued.

It all came together into one fairly easy and memorable meal. The funny thing is, when it comes to food, I am the equivalent of Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City. It's almost like I never wear (eat) the same outfit (recipe) twice, no matter how gorgeous (tasty) it is. There are some exceptions of course (here, here, and here). So would I make this dinner again? I don't know, but it sure was tasty!

Here's what you will need:

1. The recipe for Black Beans in a Red Velvet Mole Sauce. I didn't have anise seed in my spice cabinet and I can't say that the recipe was missing anything. I would also advise to blend with your immersion blender VERY CAREFULLY as this could get very messy. I was cleaning mole sauce off of my back splash last night. I also think any beans that you have in the house will be fine (I used one 15 ounce can of black beans and one of pinto beans) and that you could actually use a lot more beans in one recipe if you want to stretch the dish (who doesn't). I could have doubled the amount of beans and it had many more dinners.

2. Any ole recipe for sauteed greens.

3. A cooked whole grain. I made quinoa in my rice cooker and added currants, sliced almonds, salt, pepper and a little vinegar. It was the perfect compliment to the beans and greens. Because the consistency of the quinoa made in a rice cooker is so sticky, I decided to mush my quinoa into a square mold (picked that up watching lots of episodes of  Chopped and Top Chef). It made a really nice presentation.  

I'd like to say that this food was so nutritious that my cold magically disappeared this morning, but that would be a lie. At least it's the weekend!

Enjoy your weekend folks! Make good food and peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment