Friday, November 18, 2011

Curry in a Hurry?


Have you ever attempted to make one of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals?

Did it take you 30 minutes?

Not me. It never took me less than an hour.

That's why I have a bit of a pet peeve developing for cookbook authors and recipes that deceive readers in that way. I don't know if they do it intentionally or not, but it seems like it would sure sell cookbooks if you advertised this 30 minute concept.

But I'm calling bull&#!+ on it right now. The following recipe was based on a recipe that was supposed to take less than 30 minutes to cook. Sure, I adapted the recipe to my taste, adding potatoes, and that upped the cooking time 10 minutes. But under no circumstances would the original recipe have been cooked in 30. Sorry.

That said, it's still worth making. Both my 12 (yes 12! had a birthday this week) year old daughter and husband loved it and I'm guinea pigging my business partner today at lunch. I'll let you know what she thinks.

Easy, But Not Quick, Cauliflower Coconut Curry
serves 8


2 cups vegetable broth, plus more for sauteing
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1/4 cup curry powder (sweet or hot, to taste)
4 cups medium diced boiling potatoes
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, fire roasted if possible
1 cauliflower head, cut into small florets (approx. 8 cups of florets)
2 cups frozen peas
2 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans, washed and drained
3 cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
1 Tbsp coconut extract

Coat the bottom of a dutch oven with vegetable broth and bring broth to a boil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and saute, stirring frequently, until onions just begin to turn translucent. Add curry powder, stir, and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add potatoes and 2 cups vegetable broth, stir and cover pot. Let simmer for 10 minutes.

Add tomatoes and cauliflower, stir, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

Add almond milk, coconut extract, peas and garbanzo beans. Stir and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes.



What's your experience with recipes that are promoted as taking 30 minutes or less. Is this real? Is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment