Monday, November 7, 2011

Travelling with Veg-ans and the Amazing "Round Salad"

Six out of the fifteen women that I travelled with identify as some level of veg-an. Either full out Vegan, Plant-strong or Nutritarian. Ordering in restaurants was divine. There were no lack of choices for us on the menus and we treated the opportunities like buffets, sharing plates and plates of delicious Plant-strong food. I am very grateful for the experience.


One of our favorite dishes by far was the Round Salad from a restaurant called RYU. I have no idea why this is called a "Round Salad." Maybe it's a cultural thing that I don't understand. No matter the name, this salad rocked! I knew it would be the first thing I would attempt to recreate once I was home, and I have to say, it was a smashing success with the help of this bottled salad dressing:
San-J's Tamari Ginger Dressing
very low cal
very delicious
This simple and quick to prepare salad is so outstanding that I plan on making it twice more this week. First, to serve to Chef Aj when she gets to my house and again and a pot luck at the end of this week. It's that good.


Round Salad
serves 8 as a starter, 4 as a main course

Printable Recipe

3/4 head iceberg lettuce, cut into medium sized chunks
1/2 of a small red cabbage, cut into 4 quarters and sliced very thin
1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
San-J Tamari Ginger dressing or other Asian flavored dressing
optional: roasted tofu chunks

If your almonds are raw, toast them, watching carefully that they do not burn.

In a large bowl, layer lettuce, cabbage, onion, tofu (optional), almonds and bean sprouts. Toss to taste with approximately 1/2 of the bottle of San-J Tamari Ginger dressing or equivalent dressing of choice.

Serve immediately.

And I wasn't joking around when I said in my last posting that I would be eating salad for breakfast. Luckily, my husband is totally into it too!
Simple green breakfast salad with a big dollop of Terry Walter's Carrot Cashew Miso Spread on top. Dressed with fresh lemon juice and served with homemade whole wheat challah bread. Breakfast anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment