Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Braised Celery with Tomatoes, Olives and Capers

I am a huge fan of capers.

Celery, not so much.

But because I am frequently participating in a CSA or organic vegetable share, I often find myself with loads of celery. I discovered this very light, yet very filling, dinner or lunch recipe that is so entirely delicious you could even serve it to guests on a holiday buffet (see how red and green it is?).

When I first started making this in March 2010, I was still using a little butter and olive oil in my cooking. But that was before I heard Dr. Esselstyn speak.

This updated version is made with no added fat, and I promise, if you don't like celery, you will become a fan after trying this.

Braised Celery with Tomatoes, Olives and Capers
serves 6

Printable Recipe

vegetable stock for sauteing
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large bunches celery (about 3.5 pounds), washed, trimmed and cut into 2" lengths
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
2 1/4 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp drained capers
1 1/2 cups pitted and sliced black olives
1 28 ounce or 2 14 ounce cans low sodium diced tomatoes
optional: 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, precooked

Place a dutch oven or stock pot onto medium high heat. Coat the bottom of the pot in vegetable broth. When broth is bubbling, add onions and stir. Let cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add celery and stir. Season with salt (or not) and pepper. Sprinkle with flour, stir, and let cook for 2 more minutes.

Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Add capers, olives and diced tomatoes and stir. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover, raise heat a bit, and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the liquid is thickened, stirring occasionally.

Optional: Before serving, add cooked whole wheat pasta and stir.


This is so phenomenal, I think I'm going to be eating the leftovers for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment