Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Interview with Mala Rhodes of AFROVEDA

The following is an interview with Mala Rhodes, CEO of AfroVeda Hair Products at http://www.afroveda.com/. AfroVeda strives to represent true, Ayurvedic hair care remedies for curly, kinky and coily hair types.

1. How long have you practiced healthy hair care? Tell us about your healthy hair journey.

Although my hair has been natural for more than 10 years, I have only practiced healthy hair care for the past 5 years. As I began to educate myself about the benefits of natural hair products, and utilize the principles of Ayurveda for my own hair health, I realized that having beautiful healthy hair was not just about what is applied externally. Being conscious of what I consume makes a huge difference in how healthy my hair really is.

My hair journey has been a very long one and began very early in life. I can remember the weekend hair sessions with my mother who would wash my hair (along with my four sisters) on Saturday night, and press it with a hot comb on Sunday. Although my hair didn�t �blow in the wind� from way too much grease, I loved the smoothness of it and the fact that it reached the middle of my back. That was �good� hair to me.

Once I turned around 12 or 13, I received my first relaxer. I�m sure with 8 kids putting a relaxer in the hair of her 5 daughters made my mother�s hair care sessions much easier. We could wear wet-sets on special occasions and even wear it �down� sometimes for school. It was easy enough for us to take care of, so we were left to do just that. Despite the continued use of heavy greases and pomades, my hair still seemed to thrive. It wasn�t until I began experimenting with various other chemicals in my hair (Jheri Curl, hair color, and more relaxers � compliments of my sister who was in Cosmetology school) did I begin to notice a change. I didn�t take care of it like my mother did, and boy did it show.

Fast forward about 20 years and countless relaxers later, I found myself with thin, damaged hair from all the years of abuse. Beauticians continued to apply my relaxers incorrectly � only adding to my hair-thinning issues � and my own methods for restoring my hair�s health wasn�t working either. I seriously needed help. The chemicals had destroyed my hair and it was time for a change.

Read more �

No comments:

Post a Comment