Sunday, February 12, 2012

REVIEW #13: Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk

NOTE:  I am not paid to review this product.

Purpose: Detangles, conditions, and controls curl; Restore moisture, body and shine

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut)*, Sugar Starch, Silk Protein, Essential Oil Blend, Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem), Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitol Esters, Algae Extract, Hlyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract (Sage), Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot), Lonicera Caprifolium Flower Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle), Tocopherol (Vitamin E).

*Certified Organic Ingredient

Number of trials: 1/4 of the bottle (several uses)


How I used it:
Method #1: Applied on freshly washed and conditioned hair.
Method #2: Applied on dry hair in need of moisture.

_____________
THE REVIEW:

Though this product is called a "curl & style milk", it boasts "moisture, body, and shine" for "thick, curly hair".  I used it for the sole purpose of moisturizing my "thick, kinky" hair and not for styling curls.  The ingredients of shea butter and coconut oil - two substances my hair loves - gave me hope in the product's claim of moisture.  However, I was left disappointed after a two-month trial.  I had to reapply the product about 2-3 times over the course of a few days for my hair to feel soft and moisturized.  The three positives I will say about the milk are that it 1) smells extremely pleasant, 2) it is mostly natural and 3) it is light enough (water-based) for hair that needs just a touch of moisture.  


For an alternate review (a natural woman with curly hair):  VIDEO REVIEW
___________________
PROS: smells pleasant, mostly natural ingredients (no propylene glycol, paraffin, mineral oil, etc.), reasonable price
CONS: too light (ideal for those who prefer light products)

RATING: Overall, I give the Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk 2 out of 5 stars for moisture.  No rating is given for curl control (since I do not have curls).  Check out the video review above for a curly girl's perspective. 

This product may work well for those with:
- curly hair
- fine hair
- and/or hair easily weighed down by heavier products

No comments:

Post a Comment