Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Healthy Recipes || My Mango Smoothie


I've been on a smoothie kick for some time given that it is an easy way to absorb multiple nutrients (especially via fruits and veggies) at once.  My staples are green smoothies and banana smoothies, but lately I've been wanting to experiment with other fruits -- like the mango.

Mangos are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6.

After playing around with various ingredients and having a few failed attempts, I've finally created a mango smoothie that I find tasty while being nutritious.  It contains mango (vitamins and fiber), peanut butter (protein), almond milk (calcium), ice, and a little honey (optional sweetener).  A banana can be thrown in for extra nutrients and/or in place of honey for added flavoring.

Ingredients
1 cup mango
1-1 1/4 cup vanilla-flavored almond milk (amount depends on your desired consistency)
2 tbsp natural peanut butter
4-5 ice cubes
1/2 tsp honey (optional, depending on your palate)
OR 1 banana (in place of the honey)

My smoothie regimen: one every morning, whether mango, banana, or green.

Smoothie suggestion: If you want to incorporate berries (antioxidants), I'd suggest blueberries and blackberries.  Stay away from raspberries because they tend to give the smoothie a sour taste (unless, of course, your palate does not mind).  Some strawberries can also do the same but not as intense.  If you do use raspberries or strawberries, I suggest sweetening their flavor a bit with the addition of a banana in your smoothie.

My green smoothie.  Contains kale, banana, almond milk, peanut butter, ice, and sometimes blueberries or blackberries.  (I no longer use soy milk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment