Saturday, November 9, 2013

fructose-free chocolate crackle


I made this fructose-free chocolate crackle to prove a point. My boyfriend loves chocolate but was refusing to try my fructose-free chocolate creations as he thinks they'll taste like tree bark. Or dirt. So I told him this was a 'normal' chocolate crackle. He ate it and loved it.

Even though it is a grain, I used puffed rice (in the form of a rice cake) here as I needed my crackle to be as close to a 'normal' crackle as possible. But you could use a handful of crushed nuts/seeds or coconut instead of puffed rice to make it grain-free. The recipe I've given makes one crackle (good for a quick, individual treat), but you can easily multiply the quantities I've given to make more.

ingredients
  • 2 tbsp raw virgin coconut oil, softened
  • 1 tsp raw cacao powder *
  • 1 tsp rice malt syrup
  • 1 rice cake (or a small handful of crushed nuts/seeds/coconut)

preparation

1. Stir the coconut oil, cacao powder and rice malt syrup together in a bowl until well combined.

2. Crumble the rice cake up in your hands so that it resembles loose puffed rice, then stir it into the chocolate mixture until completely coated with the chocolate.

3. Spoon into a muffin case and place in the fridge or freezer to set. Store in the fridge, as it will melt at room temperature.

Makes 1.

* You can substitute cocoa powder for the raw cacao powder (just make sure the cocoa powder does not contain any added sugar).

NB: I use a 20ml tbsp. If you have a 15ml tbsp (if you're in the US or UK), you can measure out 4 tsp in place of each tbsp.

No comments:

Post a Comment