Saturday, January 18, 2014

salt + vinegar kale chips


I first came across the concept of baked �kale chips� in Sarah Wilson�s I Quit Sugar Cookbook. They are delicately crispy and a great vehicle for carrying flavours, like my favourite combination - salt and vinegar!

I won�t lie; kale can be an acquired taste. I know a lot of people who have tried store-bought kale chips (usually dehydrated) and the reaction has been �tastes like dirty cardboard�. If this is you, I would still say try this baked version. My boyfriend, who does not hesitate to tell me if something I cook tastes �too healthy�, actually loves these. It�s a great way to get some greens in. The only thing I would say is be careful not to burn them, as they will go bitter if overcooked. You want them to crisp up but not go brown. I find they only take 3-5 minutes, so keep an eye on them (I open the oven door every minute or so to check on them).

As far as salt goes, I use Himalayan crystal salt because it�s high in minerals. It sounds wanky, but it is much better for you than standard processed table salt. You could also use sea salt, if you prefer.

ingredients
  • Bunch of kale
  • Olive oil
  • Vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar)
  • Salt (Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt)

preparation

1. Preheat your oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper.

2. Remove the stalks from the kale, tear the leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a bowl.

3. Drizzle the kale with some olive oil, a splash of vinegar and a good sprinkle of salt. Toss well so that each leaf is coated in the oil, vinegar and salt.

4. Place the leaves on the baking tray in one layer. If they don�t all fit in one layer, do them in batches (if you pile them on top of each other they won�t crisp up).

5. Bake in the preheated oven for 3-5 minutes until just crispy, but not brown.
























No comments:

Post a Comment