Tuesday, March 4, 2014

vanilla + coconut balls

Recently, I�ve been making some tweaks to my diet according to my metabolic type (another post on my experience coming soon). So far, I�ve been feeling some improvements sticking to the list of foods that has been formulated to meet my specific needs. I wanted to create a little treat from the foods on my list, and these Vanilla & Coconut Balls do the trick!

They�re really satisfying and perfect as a mid-afternoon snack to get you through to dinner. You can substitute different nuts or seeds for the macadamia and brazil nuts (cashews and almonds would work well). I actually don�t think they need any sweetener, as the coconut adds natural sweetness. But have a taste of the mixture and see what you think.

ingredients

  • 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
  • 1 cup raw brazil nuts
  • 2 cups shredded coconut
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tbsp raw virgin coconut oil, softened
  • 1 tbsp rice malt syrup or raw honey (optional)
  • � tsp vanilla powder or extract
  • Pinch of salt *
  • Extra coconut for rolling

preparation

1. Process the macadamia nuts, brazil nuts and coconut in a food processor until it forms a paste.

2. Stir through the coconut flour, coconut oil, rice malt syrup (if using), vanilla and salt.

3. Roll the mixture into balls, roll in the extra coconut and leave in the fridge or freezer to set. Store in the fridge, as they will start to melt at room temperature.

Makes about 25 balls (depending how large you roll them).

NB: I use a 20ml tbsp. If you have a 15ml tbsp (if you're in the US or UK), you can measure out 4 tsp in place of each tbsp.


* Just a quick note on salt � I use Himalayan crystal salt or unrefined sea salt, which are high in beneficial minerals. It�s worth the investment; you don�t need much so it will last a long time. Standard table salt is highly processed and not great for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment