Wednesday, June 18, 2014

unsweetened bliss balls...

...because you're sweet enough already (or have a parasite that feeds on sugars).

I recently found out that I have a parasite. It has set up shop in my intestines and has been causing me grief. I may have picked it up while travelling overseas, or I may have had it for 10 years, it's hard to tell. What I do know is that I was experiencing a range of symptoms that are often linked to parasites (bloating, cramps, acid reflux, nightmares and night sweats). So I did a stool test and it came back positive for a common parasite called blastocystis hominis. 

Before I get to the recipe for the bliss balls (if you still feel like eating), I'll give you a quick run down on how I'm proceeding to treat the parasite and what I have learnt so far.

Antibiotics are often prescribed to treat blastocystis hominis, but from what I have read, they have a relatively high failure rate in treating this parasite and they also kill your good gut bacteria, which can lead to more problems. As the symptoms I'm experiencing aren't debilitating (although they certainly aren't nice), I've decided at this stage to try a cleansing protocol involving dietary changes (e.g. avoid sugars, sweeteners, alcohol, caffeine) and a range of herbs and supplements to kill the parasite and heal my gut. I'm hoping to avoid antibiotics, but I never say never.

I've been on the cleansing protocol for a month now (and I'm starting to feel better). What have I learnt so far?

  • DO NOT google "parasite photos". I did and regret it. You want to be informed and understand what's going on, but some images are best left unseen.
  • Same goes for googling "what to expect from parasite cleanse". Perusing forums on this topic is not advisable. I have an overactive imagination and there's some crazy sh*t out there that I wish never entered my head.
  • Speak to people who have researched and dealt with parasites. I've been working with Darren at Total Reformation. He recommended the parasite cleansing protocol that I'm currently doing.
  • Drink LOTS of (filtered) water. As the parasites start to die, they release toxins which make you feel crap. Drinking water helps flush out the toxins and encourages elimination. I bought a simple filter jug to filter my water. 
  • I've found that I feel better after some sweaty exercise. [I've recently had to stop CrossFit due to some neck/back issues. I've been doing kickboxing and Muay Thai for the past 3 months, which has become my new love/obsession and my body has been responding really well.]
  • Try to relax and reduce stress. For me, the key thing has been to do what I need to do to get rid of the parasite, whilst not focusing too much on it. Some great advice given to me by Lana Jankovic was to "focus on cultivating space for relaxation and enjoyment, rather than worrying too much about 'fighting' the stress". Love this.

Now to the recipe. One of the key things that feeds a parasite is sugar (including natural sweeteners, fruit or anything high starch). So I created these Unsweetened Bliss Balls for emergency snacking and to lift my energy if I'm feeling a bit low. If parasites aren't an issue, you could add a dash of your preferred natural sweetener, but the coconut does provide natural sweetness. If you can't eat nuts, you could use tahini or sunflower seed butter in place of the almond butter. Anything goes with this recipe, I created it by chucking in whatever I had in my pantry and hoping for the best.

ingredients

  • � cup organic coconut cream *
  • � cup almond butter, sunflower seed butter or tahini
  • � cup raw cacao butter, melted **
  • � cup raw virgin coconut oil, melted
  • � cup coconut flour
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut (watch out for sweetened varieties and preservatives - the ingredients should just list coconut)
  • � cup natural protein powder (optional)
  • 1-2 tsp pure vanilla powder or extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • Extra desiccated coconut for rolling

preparation

1. Stir the coconut cream and almond butter together in a large bowl. Then stir through the melted cacao butter and coconut oil until well combined.

2. Stir through the coconut flour, desiccated coconut, protein powder (if using), vanilla and salt until everything is well combined. If the mixture is still a bit too wet, add a little more coconut flour (it absorbs a lot of moisture, so go slowly).

3. Roll the mixture into balls and roll in the extra coconut. Place the balls in the fridge to firm up.

4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Canned coconut cream usually needs to be eaten within 3-4 days of opening the can, so I wouldn't leave the balls around for too long. (They never last that long anyway when I'm around).

Makes 12 large balls.

* Use the creamy part of the coconut cream (not the watery part). If you let a can of coconut cream sit still for a while, the creamy part rises to the top. Scoop it off the top and save the watery part for smoothies or to thin sauces or batters. You should get about � cup of the creamy part from a 400ml can of coconut cream. Go for an organic brand in a BPA-free can if possible. 

** Raw cacao butter is the solid that's left over when cacao powder is extracted from the cacao bean. It gives these balls a delicious, creamy texture. You can melt it by placing it in a bowl, partially submerging the bowl in hot water and stirring occasionally until melted. I buy raw cacao butter in little buttons from the health food store for easy melting. If you have it in a block, shave it into little pieces with a knife to speed up the melting time. You can also microwave it to melt, but this isn't ideal. If you can't find raw cacao butter, you could try using some extra coconut oil instead (although this will mean the balls will be more prone to melting). 

No comments:

Post a Comment