Wednesday, June 25, 2014

what's new?...KX Barre

As more and more people start jumping on the health and fitness bandwagon, a new fitness craze or super health food product seems to be coming out weekly. To add my two cents into the mix, I�ve decided to start a �what�s new?� segment, where I will review the latest health and fitness trends and provide my verdict (for what it�s worth).
 
To kick things off, the lovely people at KX Pilates invited me to try one of their new KX Barre classes.

I was given a free class in exchange for a review. The review is my own opinion - I�m not being paid to say good things!
 
Inspired by the training undertaken by dancers, KX Barre incorporates a mixture of ballet barre exercises, Pilates and cardio. I opted to try the Barre Sculpt class, as it promises a full body workout that strengthens, lengthens and tones your muscles (yes please!).
 
Coming from a background of high intensity strength and conditioning training (I did CrossFit for 2 years, now I do kickboxing and Muay Thai), I did wonder whether the class would actually give me a good workout. Well, it did. I was buggered by the end. Not dripping in sweat, but it felt like every muscle in my body had been worked hard. I especially felt it in my inner thighs and glutes a.k.a. my bum (glute medius, maximus, minimus�the lot).
 
What can you expect from the workout? Lots of pli�s, leg raises, kicks, arm circles with weights, Pilates-style abdominal work and a good stretch at the end. The movements simply use your body weight, resistance bands or small hand weights, so it�s all about muscle endurance. 

Pilates-style abdominal work with resistance bands


























I did ballet growing up, so I really enjoyed the class�s ballet flavour. But you don�t need any dance training to do the classes. I�d say that once you�ve learnt the movements over a couple of classes, you�ll be set. The classes are small, so the instructor gets around to everyone to help with technique.

Verdict: If you�re looking to improve muscle endurance, lengthen your muscles and improve your balance and co-ordination, KX Barre classes are for you.

For locations and to book classes, go to the KX Pilates website www.kxpilates.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment