Monday, July 14, 2014

Am I Orthorexic?

It's been a few weeks now since I received the following message on Facebook. I've been thinking about it daily ever since. While I thought that I could whip out a blog post response to the message, I have found that the issues are very complex, and it hasn't been so easy for me to get my thoughts "on paper." Here's the message that I received:

"I don't want to start a debate on your page but I do not agree that salt, sugar, and oil are the 'holy trinity of addictiveness.'

If those things are addicting and trigger foods for someone then that person needs ED therapy. I don't think that shaming someone for eating those things is at all helpful , constructive, or healthy. I see nothing wrong with having something processed every once in awhile. I don't believe that a bag of chips with oil will give you heart disease, that the sugar will give you diabetes, etc. Sure it probably isn't too healthy to consume nothing but processed foods, but in moderation I think it's fine.

I also don't think that fearing foods and putting them into categories as good or bad is healthy either. Your recent posts invoke so much fear mongering around certain foods and certain food groups. While I realize that your bio on your blog is outdated, there are a few lines that struck out at me not only when I first found your site, but even more so over the past few months. For example: 'Food and sugar are no longer the scary enemy that they once were.'

'That does not mean that I never eat anything with meat or dairy or sugar or oil. I'm not going to let myself play that orthorexic head game.'

These lines drew me to you because it seemed like you had a grasp on acknowledging that viewing certain foods as evil or scary is not a healthy way to think. The orthorexia part has been popping in my head after reading most of your recent posts these past few months. You've been eliminating so many foods and food groups. Fearing them, restricting them, thinking they are evil, harmful, etc. A lot of your actions, statements, and beliefs are concerning. I'm not trying to be confrontational or disrespectful. I realize that you won't agree with me, but I just felt the need to share my feelings."

Thank you dear reader, I welcome this discussion!

I am reminded of a quote by one of my favorite people, blogger and author Winnie Abramson:

Read more �

No comments:

Post a Comment