Wednesday, August 6, 2014

spiced carrot mug-cake...with a collagen hit



I've been making this in the mornings when I feel like something warm and spiced for breakfast (instead of my standard leftover-dinner-meat-and-veg). I just chuck all the ingredients into a ramekin or mug, whisk together with a fork, microwave for a minute or so and then cover it with some baking paper or foil and take it with me to work. By the time I'm at my desk, it's cooled just enough to be ready to eat: warm and delicious. I know microwaving isn't ideal, but sometimes that's all I have time for. You could bake it in the oven instead if you have more time.

The "collagen hit" comes from the addition of Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate. It's a concentrated combination of amino acids in powder form (derived from beef) which apparetly supports the re-production of blood cells and repair of connective tissue. I've been doing a fair bit of sparring recently at Muay Thai so I've been copping a bit of a bashing, but I feel like the collagen has been helping with my recovery. I take a tablespoon or so each day, either dissolved in water or in a mug-cake like this one. It's flavourless and blends well into hot or cold liquids. A good friend of mine got me onto it (thanks Tristan!) and I buy it from Cannings in Melbourne (where I get all my free-range meat and eggs). You can also buy it online. 


I don't add any sweetener to the recipe as the carrot provides sweetness, but you could add a teaspoon or so of your preferred sweetener if you like. Once it's cooked, I take a spoonful from the top and then fill the hole with some shredded coconut. It's also delicious eaten with some thick Greek yogurt or coconut yoghurt.

ingredients

1 free-range egg
1 tbsp Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate (optional)
1 large carrot, or 2 small ones, finely grated *
� tsp vanilla powder or extract
� tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 tbsp unsweetened desiccated coconut
1 tbsp coconut flour
Splash of water, coconut milk or nut milk
Extra unsweetened desiccated coconut or yoghurt to serve

preparation

1. Crack the egg into a ramekin or large mug. Add the Great Lakes Collagen (if using) and whisk well with a fork. Whisk in the grated carrot, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut and coconut flour. You may need to add a few splashes of water (or coconut milk or nut milk) to thin the mixture. You want it to be about the consistency of thick cream.

2. Microwave for about 1 minute, then check on it. You may need to do another couple of 20 second intervals to cook it through. Just make sure you don't overcook it, otherwise it will dry out. I usually take it out when the centre of the top is still slightly gooey.

3. Serve with extra coconut or yoghurt.

* I use a microplane grater to finely grate the carrot. Having it finely grated means the carrot is more evenly distributed throughout the mixture to keep it nice and moist (aah! I hate that word).

No comments:

Post a Comment