Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Busy Person's Tip: Make a Wrap Out of It

Many people find it difficult to get a healthy dinner on the table while managing work, children and children's activities. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's no big deal, but I will share with you from time to time some of the short cuts that work for me.

I'm a really big fan of leftovers. I almost never make a recipe without doubling it. I just don't have the time to be cooking every day, so my carefully chosen recipes need to last us a while. That's the reason that I invested in a huge, quality soup pot last year. Come to my kitchen and it looks like I'm cooking for an army.

But, I digress. This is about what to do with leftovers.

And how to make food fun again.

One simple idea? Roll it into a wrap. I have been using whole wheat lavosh as of late. Each huge wrap is 300 calories, but when you consider what is going inside of it, and that the wrap is made of 100% whole wheat, I'm okay with that.

Stuff as many greens into it as you can. Fresh spinach, spring lettuce mix, baby romaine-whatever you have on hand. Then pile on the leftovers and wrap.
Appetite for Reduction's Baked Falafel rolled up with some hummus and lettuce.
Appetite for Reduction's Wild Rice Salad with Oranges and Beets rolled up with baby spinach.

Just about any leftovers will work with this ridiculously simple technique.

Except soup.

That might be a mess.

Do you have any creative solutions for getting a healthy dinner on the table in a pinch?

No comments:

Post a Comment