Saturday, July 2, 2011

For the Love of Garlic: Scapes


This morning at the local farmer's market I picked up one bunch of garlic scapes. I had been hearing about them for years as a favorite ingredient of big time chefs on The Food Network, and I finally got up the guts to bring some home. I figured I'd have no trouble finding recipes for scapes once I got home, and I was right. Creative cooking is so easy these days, don't you think?

Scapes are the stem and beginning of the flower of the garlic plant. Farmers prune them from the garlic plants so that the plants do not put energy into growing their flower, but rather into their bulb, hence bigger garlic bulbs for sale at the grocery store or farmer's market. Scapes are generally only available in early spring, but I was lucky enough to catch them today.

I decided to go with a scape hummus recipe and do a little doctoring up myself. What resulted was an intensely garlicy and delicious hummus, but NOT suitable for the person that doesn't like the taste of raw garlic. As for my husband and I, well, we both like garlic and, well, we'll only be kissing each other tonight!
Garlic Scape Hummus

Printable Recipe

1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained (reserve liquid) and rinsed
4 Tbsp reserved garbanzo bean liquid
of 1/2 of a lemon
juice of 1 lemon
4 garlic scapes, chopped
3 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
paprika (to garnish)

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until creamy, stopping to scrape down sides as necessary.

I served the garlic scape hummus on some yummy bread from Lucy's Sweet Surrender, a local bakery that sells every week at the farmer's market. It was a real treat.
Garlic scape hummus. This is not for the faint of heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment