Thursday, October 11, 2012

Healthy Hair Feature: Shae

~3 years of growth.
1) Are you natural, relaxed, texlaxed, or transitioning?
I�m natural, kinky/coily/curly, fine, cottony with some silky in the nape.  I tried to transition but only lasted one month.  I ended up shaving it all off anyway. LoL


Big chop in June 2009.
2) What mistakes have you made in your hair care journey?
I think the biggest mistake I�ve made has been comparing my growth to other ladies with Chia hair.  You know those ladies -- they have SL hair in May and WL hair by August.  Yup, I was setting myself up for failure by comparing my growth to theirs. Once I began to think positively about my growth and even visualize myself pulling my hair down to my goal at the end of the year, I started to see more results.


December 2010.
3) What is your current HEALTHY HAIR routine?
My routine varies by the season. But overall I describe it as: 1) Low manipulation, 2) Low cones/sulfates, 3) Ayurveda and 4) PS 95% of the time.
 In warmer months, I tend to rock mini braids and water rinse or cowash them daily.  I seal in the moisture with either grapeseed oil or a cone condish. I cleanse and DC (protein followed by moisture) once per week. 
In the winter, I cornrow my hair on Saturday, cleanse and DC on Sunday, rock the cornrows under wigs or headwraps M-F and rock big hair for Friday date night :) I tend to water rinse or cowash the cornrows every other day, rub in some condish and seal with EVOO. 
Every now and then I�ll throw in some extension twists or braids for about 3-4 weeks and then go back to whatever style it is for the season. 
I primarily finger detangle (about 90%-95% of the time).  I keep my coily hair stretched at all times; never allowing it to be wet and loose at the same time (I do everything in braids/cornrows).  I M&S daily.  I cleanse and condition with Ayurveda mixes. And I rock a men�s satin skull cap under my wigs/headwraps and around the house to keep my strands protected.


August 2012.

4) Do you have a HEALTHY BODY routine? If so, what is it?
Uh, I plead the Fifth! LoL
But really, this year I�ve doubled my water intake and am doing more exercising by way of dancing.  It�s all about baby steps right?

5) Do you have any advice for those seeking healthy tresses?
Start with the basics:
-Find a good cleanser, conditioner and moisturizer.  You can add on goodies from there.
-Keep your hair clean and moisturized. .
-Baby those ends (keep them tucked away and extra moisturized) and treat your hair like fine silk.
-Take pictures every 3-6 months to track your progress.  It really helps!
-Lastly, have fun! :)

6) Where can we find you (blog, youtube, tumblr, etc.)?
Black Hair Media Forum (in the Natural and Growth Sections)
Long Hair Care Forum

No comments:

Post a Comment