Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Inspired by McDougall: No-Huevos Rancheros


If you missed the discussion about the McDougall program, check out yesterday's post and comments. Thanks to everyone who joined in the conversation! I don't mean to imply that there is a BIG difference between all of the plant-based diet docs. There's not. But there are nuances to what each doctor is promoting as the best, easiest, healthiest way to lose weight and keep it off--and that is where they differ. If weight loss is not your thing, consider yourself lucky and eat from the full compliment of what nature has to offer! Just check that your blood work comes out great about once a year and I don't think you need to worry your pretty little head.

Since I'm reading The Starch Solution, of course I want to test out a lot of the McDougall recipes. So I'm back with my second blog post in two days. I feel like I'm on a roll! I've been on the McDougall e-mail list for a few years and have always thought the recipes looked divine, but never got around to making any.

My first time at bat and I hit a home run! This Mexican dinner, called Non-Huevos Rancheros, could easily be breakfast or lunch and it was so incredibly yummy. I'm going to guess that all of the McDougall recipes will be winners according to my taste preferences. I think I've always naturally preferred starchy food to things like meat, chicken, turkey, cheese, etc.

I adapted the recipe a bit, cutting down on some of the labor and adding my pea guacamole as one of the layers. Serious McDougallers might try to avoid guacamole all together, but I figured that my pea version, with little avocado relative to a traditional guacamole, wouldn't be such a tragic mistake. But I'm not an expert on nutrition, just a regular girl trying my best to figure things out.


Here are the components, it seems like a lot, but this really is a quick and easy meal:
1. 4-6 tortillas. Preferably corn, but 100% whole wheat if that's what you've got.
2. 1 can of fat free refried pinto beans, put into a bowl and warmed through.
3. 1 recipe tofu scramble (see below).
4. 1 recipe pea guacamole-see recipe here or simply blend 1 bag defrosted peas, 1 medium avocado, the juice of two lemons, a dash of salt and pepper in a food processor. You will have leftovers.
5. Salsa fresca or your favorite jarred red salsa-I like it mild, but however you like it best.
6. Chopped cilantro. I like a lot of this, but you can leave it off if you prefer.

Read more �

No comments:

Post a Comment