Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Picking Farm and Easy Aloo Gobi with Kale Recipe


I'm embarrassed to say that I promised this recipe to my mother-in-law and sister-in-law almost a year ago after I made it for them for lunch one day during our annual family vacation. Well, I may not have gotten it up on HGK until now, but I have not forgotten!

When we had it that day back in December, my husband, daughter, mother-in-law and sister-in-law literally devoured it. I didn't really remember how good it was until I made it again this past weekend. I needed to take a photograph of it and test the recipe one more time. When I took a bite of that soft, seasoned potato that had simmered in the tomatoes and spices, I was like, "This is why they want that recipe!" It's just so yummy.

The list of ingredients is written so that you can make an uber convenient version of the dish, using frozen diced onion and frozen cauliflower, which comes out just fine, but is quite a bit more expensive. You really pay for the convenience of the pre-cut ingredients. I prefer to just take the time to chop the onion and wash and chop the cauliflower and save the money.


And there's another money saving tip I learned this past weekend. My friend Audrey asked a bunch of friends to join her on a trip to a "picking farm." Dummy me, I had never heard of this kind of thing. Of course I've been apple picking and berry picking in the past, but never vegetable picking. So this farm, and I'm sure there are others, is a farm where you go out into the field and pick the vegetables yourself. The prices of the vegetables are unbeatable. Eggplant for $0.69/pound. One head of cauliflower for $1.00. Large onions for $1.00 a piece. Huge sweet peppers, red and green cabbages, collard greens, kale--all there for the picking. I walked away with four large grocery bags full of produce for $16.50.

Read more �

No comments:

Post a Comment