Friday, July 4, 2014

pantry staples for healthy baking



New to the whole grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, fructose-free, low sugar baking scene? This post is for you! A few of you have asked for some information about the health food ingredients that I use in my recipes, so here we go.  

Before I start, I just want to reiterate my position on 'healthy baking'. It's no secret that I love to bake healthier treats. However, I have two points to make. First, there's nothing wrong with indulging in a 'normal' dessert or treat every now and then. I do, I just don't make a habit of it. Some of us need to be careful not to develop a weird relationship with food where we go into meltdown if we eat a bit of processed sugar. Second, I try and keep 'healthy treats' as treats. It's not a great idea to live on them (however tempting!). I still make sure I eat my meat and vegetables first.   

So. On to the post...

I haven't included sources for the following information - it's my basic understanding accumulated over the years, largely from reading food labels and picking the brains of staff at various health food stores. If you're after more detail, Google is your friend! 

Raw cacao powder: This is one of my favourite things. When cacao beans are cold-pressed, the fat is removed (cacao butter), leaving raw cacao powder. When people talk about the anti-oxidant benefits of 'chocolate' they are referring to the benefits of raw cacao. Standard cocoa powder has usually been roasted (destroying the anti-oxidants) and sugar or sweeteners are often added (always read the label!). I add raw cacao powder to my raw chocolate recipes, like my Raw Hazelnut Chocolates or my Raw Chocolate Mousse Tarts.

Raw cacao butter: The fat component of the cacao bean. You can melt it down and blend it with raw cacao powder to make raw chocolate. It has a creamy, melt-in-your-mouth texture. I buy it in little buttons from the health food store for easy melting (place in a bowl, partially submerge the bowl in hot water and stir occasionally until melted). If you buy it in a large block, shave it into little pieces with a knife to speed up the melting time. You can also microwave it to melt, but this isn't ideal. I use it in my Unsweetened Bliss Balls or in Lana Jankovic's White Chocolate & Raspberry Cups. 

Raw cacao nibs: These just shelled and crushed cacao beans. I use them as a substitute for chocolate chips or to add chocolate-y crunch. I also just eat them by themselves, but they are quite bitter, like a very dark chocolate. They won't melt like normal chocolate chips.

Dark (85% cocoa or higher) chocolate: I often use this in my recipes if I can't be bothered making raw chocolate. I always go for 85% cocoa or higher to keep the sugar low. If the ingredients list says "85% cocoa solids", the bar will contain about 15% sugar or sweetener. So a 70% cocoa chocolate will contain about 30% sugar or sweetener, which is getting high. I use an 85% cocoa chocolate to coat my Chocolate Almond Truffles.

Raw virgin (or extra virgin) coconut oil: Great to use when baking treats as it has a naturally sweet flavour. It's also a good alternative to butter if you're dairy-free. Different brands often taste quite different. Some that I've tried have tasted weird and made me feel sick. My favourite brand is INDAH, which I think has the best flavour and it's pure white (a sign that it has been made with fresh coconuts). �Raw� means that it has been cold-pressed to preserve it's health benefits. I asked INDAH's founder Teisha Lowry to give us a run down on coconut oil here.

Extra virgin olive oil (cold-pressed): This is probably familiar to most people. I think it�s important to buy extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil as many of the health benefits are destroyed during the heat-processing of cheaper olive oils. It also tastes way better (in my opinion). I use it mainly for dressing salads or vegetables and for cooking at low-medium temperatures.

Nut butter: (i.e. almond butter, hazelnut butter, peanut butter). Nut butters are made by grinding nuts until they form a paste. When buying nut butters, always check the ingredients label to make sure no sugar or vegetable oils have been added (particularly for peanut butter). Health food stores often have machines loaded with nuts that grind them down on the spot to give you fresh nut butter (and it's usually cheaper). Baking with it adds creaminess and great flavour. I personally have to limit how often I buy nut butters because I tend to dip the spoon in too many times and go thought it WAY too quickly. I use it in my Chocolate Protein Cookies.

Nut flours, nut meals or ground nuts: (i.e. almond meal, ground hazelnuts). These are just nuts ground to a 'flour' consistency. You can make your own by whizzing whole nuts in a food processor. They're a useful substitute for wheat flour in baking. They also keep things nice and moist (ahh! sorry I hate that word). I use ground almonds in my Coconut, Almond & Flax Loaf.

Tahini: Similar to nut butters but made from ground sesame seeds. I usually use hulled tahini (made from hulled sesame seeds) because unhulled tahini has a more bitter flavour. I use it to make my Carrot & Tahini Balls.

Coconut flour: Coconut flour is made by removing the fat from dried coconut. It is high in fibre and a useful substitute for wheat flour or nut flours (for people who can�t tolerate nuts). You have to go easy with it though; it�s very absorbent so a little goes a long way. When baking, you need to make sure you add enough liquid and/or eggs to bind it together and keep it from going too dry. It�s great for soaking up excess moisture in batters. It has a sweet flavour, so I mainly use it to bake sweet food. I use it to make my popular Banana Bread.  

A word of caution: DO NOT eat coconut flour by itself (anyone else had this unfortunate experience?). I did this once, thinking "ooh it smells so nice, perhaps I'll try a spoonful" and it stuck to the back of my throat and I nearly choked.

Chia seeds: You can get black or white chia seeds. People say they taste the same, but I prefer the white ones. They absorb moisture (leave them in some liquid for a few minutes and they swell), so great to add to baking if a mixture is too wet. They give a nice crunch. I use them in my Chia Fish Cakes.

Shredded or desiccated coconut: This is dried coconut flesh that has been shredded or processed into a powder. It adds great flavour and moist-ness (ahh!) to baking. When buying it, always check the ingredient list to make sure it doesn�t contain preservatives or added sugar. The only ingredient should be coconut.

Rice malt syrup: This is made from fermented cooked rice. It has a mild, caramel-y flavour. I prefer it to other sweeteners, such as dates, agave and maple syrup, because it's fructose-free. I talk about why I limit fructose here.

Himalayan crystal salt: A less processed form of salt that contains beneficial minerals. I buy it finely ground from the heath food store. Adding a pinch of salt to recipes (including sweet recipes) brings out the flavours in the ingredients. Sea salt is a good alternative if you can't find Himalayan crystal salt.

Vanilla Extract: You've probably seen vanilla extract (or essence) in the supermarket. Vanilla essence is artificial vanilla flavour. I don't like it's flavour. Vanilla extract is made from vanilla beans, but sugar (or glucose syrup) is often added. I buy a pure vanilla extract from the health food store that doesn't contain sugar. But using a vanilla extract with sugar added isn't the end of the world (you'd usually only use a small amount).

Vanilla Powder: This is made by grinding up vanilla pods. It's amazing, but hard to find and expensive. I use it in my Vanilla & Coconut Balls, but you could always substitute vanilla extract.

Pure Peppermint Oil: This is great for digestion and adds an intense minty flavour. You can buy it at health food shops. Just make sure it�s therapeutic grade peppermint oil that can be ingested (and not an essential oil made for aromatherapy or external use). If you can�t find it, you could use peppermint extract or essence instead (available at most supermarkets). I use it in my Peppermint & Cacao Balls and my Raw Choc-Mint Protein Slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment