Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Looking back over whole30

In some ways I did well, in some ways less well. For one thing I didn't eat any forbidden foods for the full 30 days; considering how often I say I'm going to do this diet or that plan and then stop talking about it or admit I've changed my mind I'm happy about that; I'm also happy that I experimented quite a bit with new veggies and making dressings and condiments (and falling in love with pesto) as well as herbal teas.
On the less happy note I whinged too much about can't haves, almost dreamed about some of them, and did abuse the eat sometimes list (cashew nuts / nut butter, I'm looking at you...)
The main thing I didn't succeed in doing was cutting out snacking, which is actually a fairly important part of the plan. The theory is that eating satiating, higher fat meals should mean you don't need to eat in between meals, and this combined with stable blood sugar should help with avoiding cravings and emotional eating. I didn't really find that to be true.
That doesn't mean the whole30 failed me or, in my opinion, that I failed at the whole30. I lost weight, avoided full on bingeing almost entirely - absolutely avoided the completely out of control grabbing everything half-edible within a 3 mile radius - didn't drink for a full month... and felt physically much better for it.
Next time I do a whole30 I will work on cutting out snacking and incorporating training. There will be a next time, because I can see the benefits I've gained this time and definitely see the advantage of building on them in this way. However, I'm going to wait until the additional stress in my life eases off - the house situation is resolved and we've moved, mainly. I know that the day when there is no stress never comes, but the truth is house moving is described as one of the most stressful things you can do for a reason, and I don't think the month went more easily because that was going on as well.
I didn't really want to weigh in today because of the nut binge on Monday and TTOM, but did it anyway. I lost less weight than the average set out in the whole30 - averaged out at 1lb a week - but I am now on the 'healthy weight range' (as defined by the admittedly flawed BMI system) for my weight for the first time in as long as I can remember - a year, maybe 18-24 months? So I can't say that doesn't make me happy even though of course I wish it was a little more.
Today was a pretty good day... I walked 2.2 miles at lunch and trained 45 minutes after work as well. I also discovered a new cozy murder mystery tv show I liked - Miss Fisher's Murders (watched while training) and have plenty more to catch up on!

Food today:
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with spinach, leek & peppers
Lunch: homemade soup; roast beef and raw carrot slices
Dinner: grilled chicken thighs (recipe from Well Fed) with stir fried veg & sunshine sauce - also from Well Fed, a peanut-free version of satay sauce containing (in my case) almond butter

What no dairy???? I'm as surprised as you are...

Technorati Tags:

No comments:

Post a Comment