Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dilemma

I'm reading an excellent new book about the impact of carbs (esp grains) on the brain - it's called Grain Brain, by Dr David Perlmutter, and is absolutely fascinating in the explanations of links between excessive carbs, grains generally, and especially gluten and brain disorders including depression, Parkinson's & Alzheimer's, ADHD & autism among others. It's kind of worrying as well though, because based on what he has to say I'm getting concerned about the current & future health of several of my relations, especially my Dad, who's on statins, and my mother's diabetic OH. I can't make them change what they're doing and I'm not qualified to really analyze the data I'm reading - it's compelling to me but I'd probably be as involved if I was reading an equally well-written treatise recommending a vegan lifestyle or a low fat diet - but I'm freaking out slightly at the idea of increased risk of Alzheimer's for both of them (in Dad's case especially as his father had Alzheimer's, but being diabetic seems to be a massive risk factor too) So what do I do? They both eat bread by the ton, pastry and other gluten sources as well, and both are stubborn & set in their ways and I'm not willing to annoy them or push them away by banging on about something they neither of them are interested in, but also don't want to lose them prematurely if it could be prevented. Arrrggghh maybe I should just not read this kind of book and live in blissful ignorance instead... Come to think of it last time I visited Dad I was spreading germs all over the place and he resisted infection and is fine so maybe I should just shut up and stop worrying about him...
As I'm getting closer to returning home I'm also trying to plan how I'll be eating massively better than I have been. I've got loads of whole30 approved recipes bookmarked, I'm building a shopping list and already planning menus for the first week back - I'm actually getting excited about getting back to where I want to be!!!

Food today:
Breakfast: eggs cooked with red pepper, leek & mushroom
Lunch: chicken lentil soup from the canteen. The lentils make it non-paleo but it was the only Gf option on the entire canteen menu
Tea: cold chicken & salad
Snacks: cashews, Greek yoghurt, hardish boiled egg

No comments:

Post a Comment